Cedar Rapids, IA
After flood devastation to the original 1932 federal courthouse in Cedar Rapids, IA, U.S. Congress approved funding through disaster relief appropriation for a new courthouse to be built on a two-block site south of the existing location along the Cedar River. The eight-story, 288,000 sf facility houses the Northern District of Iowa Courts in Cedar Rapids, which is part of the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals and includes five courtrooms and space for the U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Attorney, Probation and Pretrial Services, GSA and local congressional offices.
Schwickert’s installed a tapered, fully adhered 72 mil Sarnafil roof and designed a sustainable solution that included preparing the roof for a solar photo system and 2,000 sf green roof. The Courthouse achieved LEED Gold certification and was completed the summer of 2012.